Friday, June 25, 2010

In the Garden

Earlier this week, Jeremy's Aunt Julie invited me to stop by and pick some of her ripe blueberries and apples. She was going to be out of town for the weekend and she certainly didn't want them to go to waste. So, I decided to run by before picking the boys up from daycare. I had already envisioned all the delicious tarts, pies, and cobblers I was going to bake over the weekend. Anyway, it was not as successful as I'd planned, which is not unusual for me because nothing ever goes as I plan...


I couldn't find the blueberry bushes or apple trees and they were right in front of me the whole time. I had to call Jeremy six times to find them. (I am not exaggerating - my phone kept cutting out and I couldn't hear him). I'm quite certain he was very annoyed with me. None the less, it began to pour just at the very moment I began to delight in the fact that I'd finally found the bountiful fruit treasure. I even had a quick vision of Eve in the forbidden garden, mesmerized by all the beautiful fruit.


Of course, it was at that very moment that the sky fell out and lightening was surrounding me. I did manage to grab a few handfuls of berries and apples and then decided to take shelter under one of the trees...until I realized a tree was probably not the best place to avoid angry lightening. So, I hightailed it back to my car, praying all the way that the lightening would not see me. I was so drenched when I reached my car that the ac blowing out of my vents actually felt too cold, even in the blazing Alabama summer heat.


I almost became irritated that my fruitful errand had tuned out rather fruitless (again, nothing goes as I plan), but, even then, I had to admit that it had actually been another beautiful moment in life and that I should be thankful for the rain. Plus, I'd still managed to pilfer enough fruit to make at least one cobbler. I just wish I could have seen myself running, arms full, trying to escape the lightening that I was so sure was out to get me. I'm such a dork!




1 comment:

  1. 1. Yes, it was annoying, but I know you get lost sometimes, so it was ok

    2. The cobbler was super good, the pic doesn't do it justice. Though, to be that good it had to be super terrible for me.

    ReplyDelete